Tuesday, April 26, 2016

A Hearty Hibiscus

Today's blossom on my balcony
Once again, I have a hibiscus that is thriving and blooming like crazy.  I do not know if most gardeners consider a hibiscus to be a hearty plant or not, but I've had great experiences with hibiscus plants on the balcony. Since I typically have a terrible time keeping plants alive, I have come to believe that hibiscus is a hearty plant. And an excellent choice for a well-lit balcony or patio container garden. If you are wondering what plant to get for your balcony, you might want to consider a hibiscus too.

Location

I had previously thought hibiscus plants only grown in warm and exotic locations. On islands and beaches.  But I began to notice them growing on beaches and near marshes locally.  I love the blooms so much that I picked one up at a box store, for just a couple of dollars, and hoped for the best but expected the worst.

My balcony is located in Maryland (zone 7). It gets cold here in the winter.  Last year, I made the mistake of not bringing my hibiscus in during the winter and it froze to death. But the winter before that, I brought it in and placed it in a sunny, east window. That plant bloomed through the winter.

The plant that bloomed for me indoors

Wherever you live, I suggest placing a hibiscus in a very sunny location.  Mine loves my southwest facing balcony.  I have also noticed that if they seem to do okay when I change their locations, and fairly quickly respond to a location they prefer.  However, when I bring them inside, they look sickly for a short amount of time - before bouncing back.


Such a pretty and interesting flower

Watering

Apparently, hibiscus do not prefer to be kept moist.  I'm a neglectful plant owner and often let plants become far too dry.  I notice that I've forgotten to water my plants when they start to droop.  Then I give them a good soaking.  The hibiscus bounces back and produces a ton of blooms.

Container

Even though my hibiscus plants clearly do okay without daily watering, I do think they seem to do better in a self-watering planter.  With these planters, I don't manage to let my plants die of thirst, and yet they aren't kept too moist. I think these planters are great choices for hibiscus plants.

I did read somewhere that if you give a hibiscus an extremely large container, it will spend it's energy growing roots as opposed to flowers.  And because I'm slow to move planters to larger containers as they grow, I think I've proven this theory to be correct - smaller pots equals lots of blooms.


Self-Watering Planter




Related Links from Experienced Hibiscus Experienced Growers:


I do not expect you to take my word for it. In fact, if you bought a plant based only on what I say, I'd be a bit worried.  So I highly suggest that you do some research and check out some of the following information. Or, do you own research.

But, I can assure you, the photographs in this article are of my hibiscus plants. I am confident that if I can grow healthy hibiscus plants, you will be able to also.

Hibiscus Care

Hibiscus in Pots: Container Growing

Tropical Hibiscus Year Round by the University of Illinois Extension

















9 comments:

  1. Your hibiscus is SO pretty. Since I often 'forget' to water plants, this would be a good choice of flowering plant for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love a beautiful Hibiscus! The first time I ever really noticed them was at Disney World in Florida 20+ years ago. I have also killed a few over the years by not bringing them indoors before the cold snap. I always hate to admit that, but it does happen. Your hibiscus photos are quite lovely and I had to giggle at your assurances that if you can grow healthy hibiscus anyone can. I have known a few people who have killed them by over watering them. No, not me, but I do have relatives who just can't seem to grasp that you don't water a hibiscus every night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been brave enough to grow a hibiscus but you just inspired me to try it. We have a southwest exposure on our deck that one should do well on. Next trip to the big box store...I'm looking for one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great timing on your article - we just got back from the garden center. I passed on the hibiscus for many of the reasons you mentioned. In fact, I laughed all the way through this article; your plant-keeping habits sound so much like mine! Maybe I'll reconsider a hibiscus for our porch this summer, to be brought inside and ignored just exactly the right amount to get it through next winter. Your pictures have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great timing on your article - we just got back from the garden center. I passed on the hibiscus for many of the reasons you mentioned. In fact, I laughed all the way through this article; your plant-keeping habits sound so much like mine! Maybe I'll reconsider a hibiscus for our porch this summer, to be brought inside and ignored just exactly the right amount to get it through next winter. Your pictures have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely plant and so happy to bloom for you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're such a beautiful flower! I may have to get one this year - been so long since I've had this flower in the house (or yard) - I'll reference this article again for all the tips (very handy to have)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Hibiscus flower. Reminds me of Hawaii, my fave state. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all Dawn, those are beautiful photos. I guess I'm like you, as I have a hard time keeping any plant alive. It looks like you figured this one out.

    ReplyDelete